A licensed professional nurse directly under the supervision of the
Director of Nursing Services that provides care and services to
residents in a long-term care setting.
• Graduate of an accredited RN school of nursing.
• Current nursing license, in good standing with the State
• Strong qualities of leadership, communication, and organizational
skills. (moved below) Ability to provide quality patient care in
accordance with applicable standards, policies, and procedures.
• Possess critical thinking skills to analyze, synthesize, and
evaluate clinical data and observations in developing a nursing
plan of care.
• Comprehensive knowledge of applicable nursing principles and
practices to ensure the quality of care standards for resident’s
• Possess the willingness to work with professional and
nonprofessional personnel. Proficiency in the English language
including the ability to speak, read, write, and comprehend the
language with minimal to no difficulty.
• Valid CPR certification
General Duties and
• Provides nursing care as prescribed by physician/health care
professional in accordance with the legal scope of practice, any
Board of Licensing restrictions, and within established standards
of care, policies, and procedures
• Administers professional services and provide care consistent
with allowing residents to attain or maintain his or her highest
practicable physical, mental, and emotional well-being utilizing
the nursing process of assessing, planning, implementing, and
evaluating patient care
• Admits, transfers, and discharges residents in accordance with
policy and procedure
• Orients new residents/families as necessary
• Gives/receives nursing reports upon beginning and ending of
assigned shift. Reviews daily patient reports and assignments with
Nursing Assistants upon the beginning of the assigned shift.
• Assures that the unit area is maintained in a clean and
safe manner for resident comfort and convenience.
• Conducts daily resident rounds to assess and evaluate the
resident’s physical, medical and emotional status and to implement
or revise nursing interventions to the resident plan of care.
• Records care information accurately, timely and concisely.
Completes all required documentation including resident
assessments, interventions, and patient response(s) in the medical
record in accordance with policy.
• Initiates, reviews, revises, and updates resident Plans of Care
as indicated. Evaluates the patient’s progress toward specific
goals and adjusts the nursing plan of care, as necessary. Receives
and transcribe orders accurately from attending/alternate
• Receive and transcribe orders accurately from attending/alternate
• Assists in making rounds with the attending physician, as
• Prepares / administers medications as ordered by the physician
and within the legal scope of practice.
• Completes medical treatments as indicated and ordered by the
• Evaluates resident response and reports adverse reactions to
medications or treatments in accordance with the policy.
• Assures that narcotic and controlled drugs are secure, inventory
counts are accurate and narcotic register documentation is timely
• Orders prescribed medications, supplies and equipment as
established by the facility’s policies and procedures.
• Requisitions and arranges for diagnostic and therapeutic services
as ordered by the physician.
• Informs the RN Supervisor or RN in charge of the facility and
others as appropriate of resident status and related matters
• Attends various facility meetings (care conferences, stand-up
meetings, staff meetings, Medicare meetings, discharge plan
meetings, etc.) as required.
• Reports allegations of abuse or unusual occurrence per State and
Federal Regulations and facility policy. Assists with a gathering
of information relative to the event.
• Initiates emergency procedures (including basic CPR) and provide
emergency patient treatments
• Participates in the facility’s infection control program for
monitoring communicable and/or infectious disease among residents
• Participate in procedures for reporting hazardous conditions or
• Assists in orientation of newly assigned personnel as requested.
• Assumes Charge responsibility following orientation period as
• Performs other position-related duties as assigned.
• Supervise CNAs
• Make resident rounds to ensure appropriate care is being
rendered, identifying, and making corrections as necessary.
• Meet with nursing personnel to assist in identifying and
correcting problem areas and/or the improvement of resident
• Assist the Charge Nurse in revision and distribution of nursing
assignments as needed.
• Assist in the supervision and direction of nursing personnel.
• Participate in disciplinary action and evaluation of nursing
• Presents a professional image to consumers through dress,
behavior, and speech.
• Treats residents/family members with dignity and respect
• Responds to Resident and family concern(s) and assists in
resolving grievances. Records grievances per facility
• Participate in the facility's Quality Assurance (QA) program as
requested or needed. Assist in correcting findings and deficiencies
from the Department of Health Services, Consultants, and the
Quality Assurance Team as directed by the Director of
Nursing. Actively participates in Quality Assurance
Performance Improvement teams and activities
• Ensures the protection of health information as required by
the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act